Sunday, January 10, 2010

Subconscious Judgement: It's corn-fusing!

In my room, my shelf is full of nutritious foods that allow me to eat well at all times. I possess no junk foods, primarily because if they aren't accessible, I won't be tempted to eat badly. So if someone were to look at my shelves, I'd hope that they would be impressed by my dedication to healthy eating habits. At the time being, however, my refrigerator is almost completely empty. Generally it is stocked with fruits and water, but I haven't been to the grocery store in a while. This fact alone helps to create my identity. I tend to put things off until the last minute, often not even doing assignments at all and just hoping for the best. I've always wanted to change my tendency to procrastinate, but I have trouble focusing and getting things done.

However, I still feel like some aspects of my personality cannot be ascertained by the things in my refrigerator alone. For example, I am generally introverted unless I am with people I know well. Sometimes I am quiet and subdued and sometimes I am more willing to assert myself to get what I want. Nothing in my food selection could possibly reflect these attributes. On the whole, it's very easy to make assumptions based on food selection. I worked at Dairy Queen last summer, and I silently judged people based on what they ordered, whether I wanted to or not. Every time I eat bad food, I feel guilty for it no matter the circumstances. First impressions and knee jerk reactions are very easy to make subconsciously. But until you get to know someone on a deeper personal level, you cannot accurately judge their personality- especially based on food selection.

5 comments:

  1. I worked at a pizza place and I subconsciously did the same thing. You could tell the people that "tried" to eat healthy and who just wanted some food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your last sentence, and I completely agree with it. I also sometimes subconsciously make judgments about people, but I can never know for sure until I know them better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris I would agree that people can not completely judge each other based on their food selection, but I think its a great way to get to know some basics about people. I found out that you are a healthy and athletic person which says a lot about your personality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that trying to keep junk food "out of sight, out of mind" is something you and I both do. Personally, if I had a lot of chips, pop, etc. around my room, I know I'd eventually cave in and have some. It makes eating healthy a lot easier when you don't have any temptations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what you said about the aspects of personality that would be impossible to distinguish from the contents of a fridge alone. Nice title btw.

    ReplyDelete