I don't think I have ever been referred to as a nerd, nor have I ever wanted to be called one. The negative stereotype about nerds that has permeated throughout the last several decades has been so distasteful and looked down upon that no one in their right mind has ever wanted to be a part of it. However, in Chris Hofer's article "Four Eyes No More: The New Nerd," he claims that the "nerd" of the last three decades is being replaced by a cooler, more likeable version of what this stereotype once entailed. He cites several television shows, including The Big Bang Theory and NUMB3RS, on network television that have portrayed likeable nerds as the main characters that have helped to change the stereotype and create a "new nerd," a smart yet suave and cool version of what a nerd once was. Another show I have seen a few episodes of, Chuck, airs on NBC and portrays the main character as a classic nerd. Yet despite his misgivings, he still has an attractive girlfriend and manages to prevail over the bad guys in every episode.
In the last decade the old stereotype of a nerd has begun to vanish, being replaced with a more socially acceptable blend of smart and cool, intelligent yet attractive. Popular culture has completely morphed our perception of this once unique and detested persona. I thought I never wanted to be called a nerd, but after reading this article, maybe I'll change my mind..?
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like how you talked about how you closed with saying that you wouldn't mind being categorized as a nerd. I read the article on commonplace too and feel the same way. They are what's making our technology more and more advanced and they're the ones rolling in the dough now.
ReplyDelete