Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Saving the World, One Book at a Time

Last Friday, I went to see the new film Book of Eli at the South Campus Gateway Film Center. I was enjoying the film, until about halfway through, Denzel Washington's character Eli whipped an iPod out of his knapsack and started listening to some tunes. I did a double take before I realized what had happened. The movie is set in post apocalyptic times- how does an iPod last 30 years? I got an iPod 2 years ago for Christmas and it died midway through last year. Eli's iPod was the oldest version too! Most people know from experience that the lifespan of their iPod is quite a bit shorter than the price implies it should be. This, and other cinematic abnormalities are the primary focus of Charlie Jane Anders' blog, "Forget Nuking The Fridge. It's All About The Post-Apocalyptic iPod!"

However, cinematic implausibilities aside, the iPod depicted in Book of Eli is intended to be more symbolic than realistic. It is sort of like a beacon of hope for Eli- a technological anomaly in a devastating time period with few other physical possessions to cling onto besides a couple firearms and a dearth of water. Anders talks about the emotional connection between humans and these gadgets, which is true not only for Eli (he risks his life and barters a few valuable possessions in exchange for charging his iPod battery) but for many people today. Why else would we pay hundreds of dollars for something so mundane? This is particularly true for cell phones as well. Almost everyone I know, including myself, is attached and completely dependent on their cell phone. Without it, I feel naked. Even though most of the time no one is trying to call me, when I don't have my phone I feel like someone is trying to get through even more. Compare this to Book of Eli- there is not an overwhelming amount of technology in this post apocalyptic world, and yet Eli is able to cling onto his iPod and ***spoiler alert*** use it to save the "word."

4 comments:

  1. I have not seen this movie yet, but I really want to. First I think it is true that we are really attached to a lot of our technology devices. I know that I always have my phone on and in my hand, pocket or really close. I never thought of it as a emotional connection, but I guess if I think about it, I could be emotionally attached to my phone, because I wouldn't go anywhere with out it. But I guess that is kind of scary, like why are we so dependent on these gadgets?? But I think that you brought up a very daunting question about our relationship with technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really interesting. I definitely feel like I'm missing a piece of me if I don't have my phone on me. It's weird how we especially think people are trying to contact us when we don't have our phone with us. Also, I agree that an ipod would not last 30 years, let alone 2 or 3. I hae had three ipods since they came out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have made me want to see this movie even more! I couldn't agree with you more that everyone is attached to their ipods so heavily-- I dont know where to be (literally-- my calendar is on my ipod) without it! I also think its really interesting how the ipod symbolized so much more during the apocalyptic times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it was just something retro he likes to use. I know people that still enjoy playing Atari over other systems. But I agree, and that is why the iPhone was made. Instead of carrying around a phone, iPod, and laptop, the iPhone was created to put it all into one. I think we rely a bit too much on something that is basically a mini-radio without having to use CD's, but it serves a good purpose.

    ReplyDelete